Sonic the Hedgehog Turns 20 Years Old Today
SEGA’s super-fast blue skinned wonder Sonic the Hedgehod is celebrating his 20th birthday today. Although, not basking in the glory he once enjoyed, Sonic is a character whom everyone used to love and still does.
The first Sonic game was released on the SEGA Mega Drive exactly 20 years ago. Here are some interesting facts that you should know about him as he celebrates his birthday today.
- Sonic is blue but it isn’t without a reason. The reason Sonic is blue is not just because it looks nice, but because that way as a mascot he also matches the colour of the Sega logo.
- Sonics birthday is the 23rd of June (duH!).
- Sonics favourite food is chilli dogs
- Sonics motto is, “I don’t look back, I’ve got no regrets, cause time doesn’t wait for me, I choose to go my own way.”
- Sonic grew up in the Emerald Hill Zone.
- Sonics sneakers were designed by professer Kintobor, (Dr Robotnik before he went evil!)
- The chaos emeralds were once twelve instead of six, (excluding the grey “control” emerald.)
- Sonic can travel faster than the speed of sound.
- Sonics favourite drink is cola
- Sonic was once an ordinary brown hedgehog.
- Sonics theme song is called “It doesn’t matter”
- Sonic two was one of the biggest selling games of all time.
- Sonic has had four TV series based on him, and one anime movie among other things.
- Before getting his original name, Sonic’s codename was Mr Needlemouse!
SEGA is also doing a lot of stuff to celebrate our hero’s 20th birthday today. Anniversary celebrations include the release of an iOS app, and a demo of Sonic Generations which will be released on PSN later today. There are also various other Sonic-related deals happening for the PS Store.